Friday, February 11, 2011

Victoria DAM - Spills off

This is Victoria DAM, Spilling Off... When we were kids we used to visit this small fall and play in its branch river. After sometime the government derided to build a reservoir and Hydro Electric Power Dam. I giot my first job opportunity in the Victoria Project. The money was good for some time for all worked. Then we had to leave when the reservoir inundated our villages. Our  home town, house went under the water. People left to many area. Most of them lost contact. A displacement of development. Today its a huge dam, producing 40MW of Electricity, and holding water when rain comes for agriculture in Mahaweli System  C. This is how it it over fills. This Dam made many children displaced but it was for a good cause and a planned cause, quite  different from floods which come unexpectedly. I still miss my home town, my old home, the river we used to play and all, our paddy fields, my small school, my relatives in the village and all my friends when I see these photos.





Water so valuable in places where it's not available
But becomes a burden when its too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment